VIictoria Hall Museum
The building is centrally located at #3 Church Street, just off the main street (Bayview). It is just minutes from the St. Pierre et Miquelon Ferry Office, Craft/Souvenir Shop, Post Office, general store, Central Restaurant, the Historyboard Park and the Fortune Municipal Center (which contains the Public Library).
It is open to the public during the summer months, staffed by high school graduates and university/college students. There is no admission fee but a donation box is available. Various brochures, featuring other local attractions, can be found inside. Parchment copies of the Historyboard, suitable for framing, can be purchased at the desk.
Victoria Hall History
The Masonic Society was one of the first organizations to come to Fortune. Victoria Lodge #1378 was constituted on 17 July 1871. The first meetings were held in the home of Henry J. Haddon with James P. Snook as the first Master.
This two-story Lodge building, measuring 26 feet wide by 46 feet long, was constructed in 1883 at a cost of 22 pounds, 18 shillings (approximately $92.50 Canadian). It was in use until 1996 when declining membership forced its closure.
In May 1997, it was designated to Heritage Fortune Inc., on indefinite loan, for the purpose of establishing a community museum. Recognizing its historical significance, the building will be known as Victoria Hall Museum.
Restoration is underway to bring the building back to its original style in every way possible. Some work has been done but there is still more to do. When all is completed, it is hoped that the building will be registered as a Heritage Structure because of its age and its importance in the history of the community.
Many artifacts and items depicting the cultural heritage and history of the town are on display inside. However, the building itself is an artifact, having been designed by Henry Jabez Haddon, a man who was instrumental in the social and educational development of the town. The original curved wooden staircase still exists, as do two Masonic emblems on the upstairs ceiling.
Heritage Fortune (1997) Inc.