Royal Canadian Legion Branch #25 in Fortune has 40 years of history, going back to 1940, when John R. Dixon was the first Branch President. Presumably, meetings were held at various locations until the Branch purchased its first building, the old Post Office/Telegraph Office, in 1952.
On June 7, 1974 Branch President Major King and general contractor William A. Trask officiated at a sod-turning ceremony to begin construction of the present building. Land was purchased from George N. Collier, Cluett Forsey, C.B. Spencer and Bert Lake, grandson of John E. Lake. The undertaking was financed on a 15-year-loan from the Bank of Nova Scotia. The new building was officially opened for the New Year's Eve Ball on December 31, 1974. Filled to capacity for the event, patrons were offered bar prices of 55 cents per beer and 60 cents per alcoholic drink.
Five years and four months ahead of schedule, on February 25, 1984, a mortgage-burning ceremony was held under the leadership of President George R. Mavin. By a unanimous agreement, Branch #25 was renamed in 1990 in honour of Charter President, the Late Comrade John R. Dixon.
Home / Administration / Location / Facilities & Services / Attractions/ Organizations / Contact
Photo Gallery / Historical / Fortune Teller / Links / Fortune Head Ecological Reserve
Miss Teen Southern Nfld. Pageant / Fortune Volunteer Fire Department / Harbour Authority of Fortune