All Saints Anglican Church
Until the 1950's the Anglican population in Fortune was practically nonexistent. At that time the residents of Brunette, nearly all Anglicans, moved to Fortune and Grand Bank. In 1952 a church was built at Grand Bank to serve the Anglicans in both towns.
With the introduction of the resettlement program, many other Anglicans moved to Fortune and in 1961 a church, to be dedicated in the name of All Saints, was started. Through the dedication and sacrifice of the people this church was consecrated in 1966.
But the population continued to increase as more and more people came to the town from communities on the South Coast and they brought their strong Anglican faith with them. As a result by the late 1970's the church built by 90 families was inadequate for the 300 families now served by this church. In 1979 an extension was added that doubled the size of the original church.
The church as it now stands is a cross-shaped structure capable of seating over 300 people. The main floor contains, besides the worship area, a vestry, sacistry, choir room and a meeting room. The lower floor contains an auditorium, a chapel, a kitchen and a meeting room.
One of the greatest features of this church is its stained-glass window, which fills nearly all the east end. It was designed especially for this church, and is, in fact, the first stained-glass church window ever made in Newfoundland by Newfoundlanders.
The congregation of All Saints in the largest of the three that once made up the Parish of Grand Bank - the other two being St. Alban's at Grand Bank and St. Mary's at Lamaline.
In 1993 the parish was divided into the Parish of Grand Bank a one congregation parish - and the Parish of Fortune-Lamaline with headquarters at Fortune, where the rector now lived.
Services are held twice every Sunday and on every important holy day. The Holy Eucharist is also celebrated weekly in the chapel.
Besides its use by its own people, the Roman Catholic congregation uses the church on a weekly basis.